Established by the Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas Company (NLNG) in 2001, the Finima Nature Park came from a consensus by the communities of Finima and Bonny in Rivers State, South - South, Nigeria to protect the forests for its integrity, its biodiversity and the normal functioning of the natural environment to provide and protect the human settlements.
The 1000 hectares Park provides a golden opportunity to show genuine commitment of the people of the Niger Delta to contribute to environmental protection for the benefit of not only the indigenes of the area but as a place of pride for the people of the Niger Delta and Nigeria at large. It add value to biodiversity and enhance opportunities for sound environmental management and promote environmental education and research.
In the beginning, the Niger Delta Wetland Centre (NDWC) laid the foundation for the management of Finima Nature Park by developing Park infrastructures and set up its management system.
In 2011, The Nigerian Conservation Foundation succeeded the NDWC to consolidate the efforts of NDWC and rebuild new frontiers for conservation, build stronger community institutionalisation and inject renewed energy on research, biodiversity protection and public education.
Major Activities of the Park
- Tree nursery and vegetable garden established and managed for the benefits of the Finima Community – The Park will produce fruit tree seedlings in 2012/2013 session
- School Conservation Club Activities is being reviewed – NCF Education team is developing outreach activities and liaise with school conservation club activities
- Protection of the Biodiversity of the Reserve is a major priority – We shall continue to seek continuous support of the community for the protection of the rich fauna and flora of the Park
- Community support and participation is of paramount importance to the Park management – We will seek opportunities for progress on the process of institutionalisation and active community participation
- Outreach and public awareness through events, seminars, workshops and training
- Research and biodiversity monitoring is another priority agenda of the Park management
For further enquiries and information, please visit us today at
Finima Nature Park,
First Walkway front office,
Opposite NLNG Residential Area
Finima Bonny Islnad, Lagos
The Executive Director
Nigerian Conservation Foundation NCF
Km 19 Lagos – Epe Express way, Lagos
P. Box 74638, Victoria Island, Lagos-Nigeria