An Environmental NGO in Nigeria is currently seeking to recruit competent, committed, self motivated and matured candidate for the position of Senior Conservation Officer, Technical in charge of Policy and Campaigns.
WORK LOCATION: ABUJA
To identify and advocate for effective policy solutions to protect Nigeria’s wildlife and habitats, especially migratory land birds and support the profile of the organization as a known and respected organization amongst decision-makers and opinion-formers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To ensure that the Foundation is abreast of relevant policy developments.
- To assist to develop and implement a policy strategy for the organization, to deliver the organization’s policy and advocacy ambitions to 2019, including on migratory land birds.
- To assist to identify and develop policy solutions that can deliver the policy strategy priorities.
- To assist to develop and implement advocacy campaigns that deliver the organization’s policy solutions to a wide range of audiences, including government officials and ministers, legislators, businesses, technical specialists, other Nigerian and international NGOs and local advocate groups.
- To integrate policy and advocacy activities.
- To assist to advocate for policy work in the media where necessary.
- To assist and ensure that policy and advocacy is well planned, prioritized and achieved through the use of inclusive planning tools.
- To perform any other duties, as may be assigned by the line manager.
EXPERTISE & SKILLS:
- A good understanding of environmental/ conservation issues in Nigeria and the West African region as a whole.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
MSc in Conservation Biology, Natural Resource Management, Public or Environmental Policy or other related disciplines.
At least three years’ experience in a policy and/or advocacy role, ideally within government or the NGO sector.
REMUNERATION, TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Suitable qualified candidates should send their applications together with their curriculum vitae that include two professional referees, and a cover letter stating their reasons for applying no later than 14 days after the publication to: